20110113

DIY Free Motion Rollers

Today, I spent the day HVLP spraying a platform bed I am making. Its turning out great but whats even greater is that I have about 1.5 hours of dry time between coats. So during one of my breaks today, I rode indoors for 45 minutes.

A few years ago I got a fluid trainer to hook up to one of my bikes but I discovered quickly that it is about the most boring, unnatural feeling way to ride a bike I have ever experienced.

I can't stand it, but somehow Katy doesn't mind it. She of course is much tougher than I am!....so at least its still seeing some use.

So I started researching rollers and loved the concept of free motion rollers. You can Google "Inside Ride's E-Motion Rollers" to learn more about them, but at a $800+ price tag that just wasn't going to happen. So I picked up a cheap set of rollers from Performance Bike and modified them to be free motion.

DIY freemotion

They are a pleasure to ride. It feels much more like riding outside. You have to be careful though......If you stop paying attention you will shoot off the side of them(Its not nearly as dramatic as it sounds, I have done it many times!)


2 comments: