Everything is different.
We welcomed Teddy into the world last week. Today he is one week old. Life has been kinda turned upside down this last week, but we are doing pretty well considering. Teddy has been great and he has now exceeded his birth weight as of our DR appointment this morning, 7lbs 4oz. His Jaundice is also clearing up nicely, so much so that we didn't need to head back to the hospital today for testing!
Katy, on the other hand, has been having a hard time physically this week. Its hard to see her like this and I am sure she is frustrated with how little she can do right now and how uncomfortable she constantly is. It will be better soon, but not soon enough! However she has really become an incredible mother. Its so cool to watch. I love her so much.
I have been holding up better than I expected I would. I was so convinced that all I could do would be to try to survive these next few months, but in reality I really think I am thriving. I feel such purpose now. Taking care of the two of them has become my primary function in this last week. I hope I am doing a good enough job. I guess there is a reason that I have been sleeping like total crap for at least the last 15 years. It was to prepare me for this.
For the first time in a week I had a selfish moment and truly took care of myself. Katy said it would be fine if I left the house for a quick run around the neighborhood(at this point I HAVE to know its ok to do something for myself, cause I can't stop taking care of them and the household). She knows I needed it.
I left for my run and it immediately started raining. I loved it. As soon as I started running I knew the streets were not what I needed so I headed into Bemis and quickly became soaking wet and covered in mud as I ran my usual trails. It was so spectacular I can't even explain it in words. Once I was muddy, I figured might as well keep going, so I ran through the flooded out main trail to get to more single track. The water was up to my mid shin and every step splashed water in all directions. You would not have believed how big the smile on my face was. I headed back into the woods and got back into the muddy single track and then popped out into one of my favorite places in Bemis, a large open field near Bob Mann Woods. I just stopped and stood there surveying the area with rain pouring down on me.
Everything may be different, but I wouldn't change a thing.
Sounds great. Keep it up! You've got a lucky crew.
ReplyDeleteMade me tear up a bit. I had no doubt you would love being a dad and thrive given the new responsibilities. It's an amazing experience that just keeps on going. k
ReplyDeleteI'm with Kathleen...a little teary eyed here.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait until Teddy is out there getting muddy with you two.
Tear...We couldn't have survived without you!!
ReplyDeleteDidn't see this until just now. You are doing such an amazing job. I feel blessed to be a witness to all three of you! So sweet Steve.
ReplyDelete