20101209

All Systems Go

Funny how things work out sometimes.  After my last post, I got an email from Xterra Wetsuits saying they were having a big holiday sale(70% off!).  What great timing!  Well I ordered one and it arrived today.

It seems to be a good fit.  I picked up the hood, gloves and booties a few days ago. 

I got word today that there will be a Saturday swim @ 9:00 am.  So I am going to be rushing out of Masters practice to get down there.  I am a little nervous about the whole thing, but also super excited.  I have been emailing back and forth with Steve from Open Water Chicago and he has given me a lot of information on the physiological effects of extreme cold water swimming and how to manage them.  Its all incredibly scientific, covering the "gasp reflex" , the mammalian diving reflex and "afterdrop" (a post swim decrease of your core body temp).  So I have an action plan that I am going to follow preswim/postswim that should make this a pretty controlled and manageable experience. 

I hope!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear all about this...

    I think you should add crazy to this posts labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BE CAREFU!!! KEEP YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT! "T"

    ReplyDelete