My next big ride I am planning on doing is from LGP to the Wisconsin border and back. I have done the ride before, but over the course of 2 days. This time it will be one epic day of about 140 miles. The weather is about to take a turn for the worse, so this is going to have to happen in the near future. I have not been on the bike as much as I should, but I should be able to do it with a few weeks of roller work.
This is a great route composed of almost all trail, mix of paved and crushed limestone. It is one of the great perks of the Chicago area, the bike infrastructure just keeps growing. It's remarkable that I can ride to the WI border with only a handful of miles done on roads.
Here is the route, Google Maps has it as at 68.9 miles one way:

THAT'S A PRETTY LARGE UNDERTAKING - GOOD LUCK - LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT - "T"
ReplyDeleteThe Fox River trail ia currently closed between St. Charles and South Elgin for construction of a highway bridge over the Fox River.
ReplyDeleteChris and I have been waiting patiently for that project to be over. The theory is right now that by taking the elgin spur, I can avoid the contruction, although there may be a section of that, that is closed as well. I will do some recon before I plan the ride. Hopefully the weather holds up for me.....
ReplyDeleteI rode the IPP today from Wheaton to Elgin (Victory casino). The bridge over the railroad (1/4 mi south of Army Trail Rd) has been completed and is open. There is one section near the Horse display area near the Sterns Rd proj. was OK but I need to talk to you about it. It only requires about 1/4 mi section on a busy road. There are other details I need to cover with you.
ReplyDeleteI returned via the Fox river Trail - it is still definitely cosed at the new bridge - I made it thru but it wasn't pretty.